Whether they be fresh water or saltwater, keeping an aquarium is one of the most popular hobbies around.
It is thought that the hobby started hundreds of years ago with the Chinese breeding of goldfish and has blossomed worldwide to encompass not only cold water, but salt water and tropical fish as well. Today, aquaria is a huge hobby with many different forms. You can keep saltwater fish in a reef tank, or non reef tank, you can focus on cold water fish and eliminate the need for heating or maintain a tropical fish tank and have a huge variety of fancy fish to choose from. You can add interest to your tank with some aquarium plants, snails, frogs, newts or for more exotic tanks – sea horses, octopus and starfish.
The home hobbyist has many choices for his aquarium. They come in all sizes, some on their own stand and can be bought in glass or acrylic. Your fish can make their home in a modernistic round tank, a pentagon shaped tank, a corner tank, bow front tank, square or the more traditional rectangular. All aquaria need a filtration system and there are many on the market ranging from sophisticated to simplistic. Depending on your needs, you can choose from box filters, under gravel filters, bio wheel filters, and bed filters.
And don’t forget cleaning and testing. The water conditions need to be just right to keep your tropical fish in optimal health. Luckily, there are plenty of products on the market to test your water and then even more products to treat the water if need be. Keeping the tank clean is very important as well, you can buy algae eating fish to keep the glass clean but water changes and vacuuming are recommended to keep your tank in tip top shape.
At ePet-Center we want your fish to have a happy home. That’s why we have scoured the web for the best online products and combined it with information, tips and techniques on how to setup and maintain an aquarium.
- Fish Tanks – Putting too many fish in your tank can kill them! Click here to find out how to reduce tank maintenance and keep your fish healthier.
- Fish Food – Are your fish top eaters or bottom eaters? Click here to find out if you are feeding your fish the right food.
- Aquarium Lighting – The appropriate lighting can keep fish and plants thriving and showcase your tank. Click here to find out what you should be using.
- Aquarium Filtration – Is your tank polluted? Adequate filtration is vital to fish health. Find out how much you need for your size tank.
- Aquarium Heating – Click here to find out the latest on aquarium heating.
- Eclipse Aquariums – Tired of messing with extra tubes and cords and having an ugly filter hang off the back of your tank? Check out these convenient all in 1 Aquariums.
- Fish Themed Gifts – Got a Fish Lover on Your Gift List? Click here to find out where to get unique tropical fish themed gifts they won’t soon forget.